The Mediterranean diet (Med diet) has exploded with popularity over the last few years due to experts revealing the myriad of health benefits and weight loss benefits the diet has to offer.
But.. Is the diet really worth all the hype?
A 2022 study by PLOS medicine(1) has suggested the med diet can up to a decade to your life expectancy due to the increase in plant based food choices and olive oil and reductions in butter and ‘bad’ fats (such as red meat and dairy).
The younger you adopt the med diet the greater increase in life expectancy you gain! Men and Women adopting the diet aged 20 can add 13.0 and 10.7 years respectively. Pretty incredible results. (2)
Let’s look at the top 3 additional health benefits the diet can offer.
1. Reduces Risk of Strokes
Strokes which are a heart condition can be reduced through the use of the med diet.
A study carried out in the UK over 23,232 women and men found that “The more closely a woman followed a Mediterranean diet, the lower her risk of stroke.”(3)
In addition to this, research found that men and women who were high risk of having a stroke reduced their chances of having a serious stroke following the med diet.
2. Reduces Risk of Heart Disease
The med diet, rich is natural plant based foods such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and fish has been proven by scientific studies to reduce the risk of heart disease.
One notable study of three groups of participants found when given advice on the med diet and free olive oil to consume the participants where a 30% reductions in their risk of getting cardiovascular disease(4). The study facilitator being quoted as saying;
“That is probably the biggest scientific evidence to say that a Mediterranean diet is healthful, in terms of reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease,”. (5)
Get your personalized Mediterranean diet, with portions calculated specifically for you!
3. Increases Brain Function
Brain function also appears to improve on the med diet. A review published in the journal Frontiers in Nutrition(6) found dieters using the med diet strictly experienced a lower rate of age-related cognitive decline and had a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
Improve memory and attention spans were also seen to dramatically increase when consuming the med diet.(7)
4. Weight Loss
The med diet is considered an effective way to lose fat as well as the many health benefits. Surprisingly you don’t even need to count calories!(8)
The diet is really easy to follow, no calories counting and you can still enjoy lots of the amazing foods you already eat. Here is a quick breakdown of the diet.
- Swap red meat for fish
- You can still have bread
- You can still eat fats
- Its very fresh, lots of fruit and vegetables
- Still enjoy your spices!
- Cut out the processed fats
- Alcohol is allowed! You can still drink win!
Get Started With Your Med Diet
Now you understand the benefits of the Mediterranean diet you are probably thinking how do you get started!
Getting started it easy! Simply click the button below to get YOUR personalized Mediterranean diet, with portions calculated specifically for you!
- (1) – https://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1003889
- (2) – https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7996072/ways-the-mediterranean-diet-helps-you-live-longer-according-to-a-dietitian/
- (3) – https://www.everydayhealth.com/mediterranean-diet/scientific-health-benefits-mediterranean-diet/
- (4) – https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10408398.2015.1107021
- (5) – https://www.everydayhealth.com/mediterranean-diet/scientific-health-benefits-mediterranean-diet/
- (6) – https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2016.00022/full
- (7) – https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a19543268/mediterranean-diet-benefits-entire-body/
- (8) – https://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-12-reasons-to-love-the-mediterranean-diet